A few links to follow on tonight’s discussion on winter camping
A good winter tips video I saw recently covering layering and managing it to stay dry, etc. “micro-manage your sweat”
- Love for the blue smurf gloves plus Possum Down combo:
- I use L possum down gloves inside XL outer gloves. Similar warmth but less waterproof are some LL Bean winter gloves I have. After the Skurka article, Showa did come out with a winter version fulfilling some of his suggestions: The Showa 282-02
- Great option if you want the cuff gaiter, but also warmest if you upsize and use possum down liner gloves inside.
- Brushtail possum gloves: https://zpacks.com/products/possumdown-gloves
- The socks of the same material are super warm as sleeping socks, as a much cheaper alternative to down booties.
Aedan’s suggested boot insulators:
- (Quite a bit cheaper than he thought. Other Wiggy’s products may be worth checking out.)
My backpack (Chris) with the fancy “Ultra 200” material. Pretty cheap at $250. Other comparable packs are $350-$450.
- I can get all my warmer stuff in but the tent has to strap on top. If you feel you need bigger, the 55L is only $10 more and less than 2 oz heavier. Both are under 2 lbs empty.
- (Pre-order is 2-3 months out on either volume.)